A free astronomical image processing software.
- Siril is targeted to amateur astronomers having acquired images and wanting to process them in a semi-automatic way.
- Siril uses modern and powerful processing algorithms running in parallel in order to speed up the time of processing.
- Nearly the whole processing chain is available in Siril. With only one software you can produce high quality image for print or web diffusion.
- IMAGE CALIBRATION: Removing unwanted signal and pattern from RAW images is the main goal of the first step of preprocessing. Siril can of course deal with BIASES/DARKS/FLATS master files.
- IMAGE REGISTRATION: Siril uses the triangle similarity algorithm coupled to the the RANSAC routine that can deal with a large amount of outliers in the set of input data. Siril can then align difficult cases.
- IMAGE STACKING: Signal to noise ratio improvement is only possible by cumulating hours and hours of shoot. Siril provides several stacking algorithms that allow to do it in an easy way.
- IMAGE ENHANCEMENT: Pre-processing is just the beginning of the astronomical image process. A different set of processing tools is then also available in Siril intended to produce high quality web publication.
Thanks to the ability to directly process SER videos, Siril is really adapted to the deep-sky lucky imaging technic. All algorithms work use all cores of the computer, it is then possible to process more than 60 000 frames with no effort.
- FILE FORMAT: Unsigned 16-bit FITS files (other FITS are converted to this format on-the-fly). SER files in its third version. AVI and many other film files. However their support is being dropped in favour of SER.
- PREPROCESSING: It is prossible to preprocess SER videos with Darks/Flats/Biases master files. Taking the great advantage of the SER file format, only one more file is created for each preprocess step (Except in one star/planetary alignment where no extra files are created).
- KEEPING THE BEST: Siril sorts best frames using algorithms mainly based upon FWHM. It allows to extract the best set of images that must be used in the final stacking operation.
- STACKING: Each stacking method runs in parallel. In consequence, processing 10 000 images can go as fast than drinking a coffee cup