Cabbage is a framework for audio software development. Using simple markup text and the Csound audio synthesis language users can target Windows, OSX, Linux and Android with a single piece of source code.
Over 200 free and open source audio plugins (VST or AU)
Cabbage ships with over 200 audio instruments that which can be quickly exported as VST or AudioUnit plugins. The collection, developed by sound designer Iain McCurdy is one of the largest and most extensive collection of free plugins on the planet. Simply use the ‘Export all examples’ menu command from the main Cabbage IDE and away you go.
- Standalone Software: Cabbage instruments and effects can easily be exported and run as standalone software without the need of a host program or DAW.
- VST Export: Users can export instruments and effects as fully functional VST plugins to be run inside your favourite host/DAW.
- AU Export: Cabbage instruments and effects can be exported as AudioUnit MusicDevices, or MusicEffects and hosted in a range of Apple DAWs.
- Integrated patcher: The Cabbage patcher exposes the underlying audio graph. Complex processing chains can be developed, saved and recalled later.
- Share: Users can share plugins/instruments as text files to be used on Windows, OSX, Linux and Android.
- Python Scripts: Custom Python scripts can be embedded directly into an instrument’s underlying source code.
- Multichannel: Cabbage can be run as a multichannel software, both in standalone and in audio plugin mode.
- Automate: Csound can be used to automate any of the plugin controls, and to save and load session data.
- MIDI Instruments: Not into audio processing? That’s Ok, Cabbage lets you easily build MIDI only instruments.
- Signal Gen: Users have up to 1300 different signal generators/modifiers available.
- Control Widgets: Csound can be used to control the state and behavior of any widget. This means widgets can be programmed to move around the screen, change colour or size, morph or fade into other controls, as well as lots of other funky operations!
- GUI Controls: GUI controls include sliders/knobs/buttons/xypads/waveform/envelope editors, checkboxes/text editors/file browsers/listboxes, etc.
- WYSIWYG GUI Editor: Design GUI interfaces using the integrated GUI editor. Inserting a widget will give you access to it properties panel which will let you control all aspects of it’s look and behaviour.
- Fully customisable interface: Everything you see in the Cabbage IDE can be customised in terms of look and feel. Open the settings dialogue and select create your own custom theme.
- Theme with SVG: Customise your Widgets with Scalable Vector Graphics (.svg’s).
- OSC Support: Both desktop and Android versions of Cabbage support OSC. Cabbage instruments can be built to take control of other instruments, or indeed third party software over a shared network.